Monday 9 December 2019

Battle Report - Beware of Dragons!

Hello Folks,

This past weekend I got the chance to head over to Duncan's to play a game of Saga, went for Age of Magic again. I expected him to play Undead so I took a Horde of Uruk-Hai, no wizzard this time, deciding to try a war machine instead!

Funny enough Duncan also had a horde, of Dragons!

I looked for a scenario that made sense and ended up with dragons attacking a baggage train.

In this one I have 3 baggage elements to escape across the board, I loose survival points for ones killed or still on the table at the end Duncan looses points for ones that escape.


Here is the set up. Man that's allot of Dragons. I have half my stuff and the second half walks on. I thought allot about how to get enough dice starting to move on. but realized later you could just fo manouvers


Everything in place ready for the onslaught.


Dragons swoop in to breath fire. Immediately the terrain meant to slow my movement starts getting in their way.


Next turn I just advance, sending my Wargs way around the druid circle to protect  baggage over there. War machine is cracking off shots doing a fatigue to dragons here and there.


Dragons get up close and personal. The bronze one tries to eat my elephant baggage but gets driven off. We didn't realize baggage had the unarmed rule but main thing is I lived.


Next turn the wolves make a devastating charge and kill the white dragon! But take 3 fatigues to not die. My Uruks also charge the big black dragon but that turns out I'll advised.


More dragon fire. Mainly breathing on my warriors to chip away at Saga dice. But a few times shooting baggage as well, this turns out ineffective as they are hard to damage with shooting.


Next turn the Troll sees a time to shine and charges the Green. In a mighty battle managed to fell the beast only taking 2 fatigues, not bad. The baggage is moving along so things seem not bad.


Next turn the scaly beasts have other plans and they eat up the tasty camels in the middle, so strike 1 baggage.

But this left the leader and gold d4agon vulnerable. My Wargs charge the metal one first, but frustratingly are 1 hit shy of killing it, and they get gobbled up. But I have my berserkers to save the day, they charge the chimera the brains behind it all. Sadly again 1 hit shy and they are food. But 2 exhausted dragons I guess.


Next turn they try to to more but bad dice and fatigue prevents them from killing or blocking the other baggage. So I dump all my dice in moves and both escape!


This leaves only my guys left as tasty meals, so the dragon start mopping up. Using my Warlord, after the uruk hai charge to death to exhaust him, a third dragon is slain.


The dragons finish thing up snacking on a Troll. Combined fire gives me some fatigues the the metal dragon finishes the deal, just barely surviving himself! Man mot good luck at all.

Survival points wise I have not allot left! But Duncan is looking pretty good. I loose points for the dead baggage going down to -3, Duncan looses a massive 16 fir 2 escaping and goes to -4! So it is just barely a win for me, or maybe a 0-0 tie. Not sure of points can go negative or not!

Either way not exactly glorious hah.

Thanks;
Mike

4 comments:

  1. Great report Mike, I did not realize a hoard warband could field that many Monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Legendary Warbands section of the Hordes description is the "Morrow Island" warband where every unit HAS to be a Monster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks I found it. How did you interpret the Alpha rule on page 67 of the SAGA AoM book as it says "Choose one of you monsters to be the Alpha. They count as as your warband's Warlord, but remain a Monster!" Presumably that means all his stats and special rules remain as on the monster profile (including primitive) but he gains the Warlord's special rules: Bodyguard, Determination, Presence, Pride Resilience (1), We Obey?

    It says the Alpha can use his Alpha ability by discarding a dice from the magic pool to remove the Primitive special rule from a Monster within L, and he can use it on himself. He can do this several time a turn. But since the Monsters of Morrow Island have no sorcerer they will only get 1 magic dice a turn so if it costs 1 magic dice to use the Alpha ability to remove "Primitive special rule" how can it be used more than once a turn? Maybe discarding the one magic dice means you can use the alpha rule multiple times a turn, but then it would be considered an activation so to use it a second time you would need to spend SAGA dice or use the one time per turn we obey special Warlord rule?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Horde Battle Board (and all the others, I think) has an ability in the top row called "Magic Bonus" where you can use a Saga die with any face to generate 2 magic dice (OR re-roll up to 2 Saga dice)

    I found that I only used this ability if I rolled to many of the "fireball" or common symbol on the Saga dice because in general activating a dragon is better than using one of the horde abilities.

    ReplyDelete