Thursday 7 April 2016

(Frostgrave) Blight Town - Play test 1

Hello,

So last night we did a game of Frostgrave and tried out a play test of the first scenario for this table for cangames. As this is a play test and questions, comments, suggestions people have would be worthwhile!

First up here is the scenario I used, the Terrain was posted in the previous post.


Exploring Blight Town!

Set-Up

Terrain is pre-set. Place one treasure token in the centre of the board. Players then place 2 treasure tokens each, 11” from edges and 6” from each other. Treasures must be placed on the walkways and not in the swamp.

Special Rules

Every time a treasure is picked up for the first time roll on the Blight Town monster table.

Blight Town is covered in a murky swamp haze. Line of sight is limited to 12”, but models additionally have line of sight to the area within 3” of a torch.

While in the swamp areas of the map models suffer from the ‘wounded’ state.

The high platforms may be accessed only by ladders, models may not climb posts. The lower level platforms may be climbed at the cost of 1 movement action.

Torches and ladders may be affected by the telekinesis and push spells (Fight 0), but the distance moved is halved.

Treasure and Experience

The treasure in the centre of the table is worth 2 rolls on the treasure table if you are able to get it off the board. Otherwise treasures act as normal.





d20 roll
Monster
M
F
S
A
W
H
Notes
1-2
(2) Dogs
6
+1
+0
6
0
5
3-4
(2) Rats
6
+0
+0
6
0
1
5-6
(2) Skeleton
5
+2
+0
10
0
1
Undead
7-8
(2) Armored Skeleton
5
+2
+0
12
0
1
Undead
9-10
(2) Zombie
4
+0
+0
12
0
6
Undead
11-12
(2) Armored Zombie
4
+0
+0
14
0
6
Undead
13-14
(1) Ghost
9
+0
+0
10
+10
8
Undead, Move Through Terrain, Immune Non-Magic Weapons
15-16
(1) Plague Toad
3
+2
+0
10
+0
5
Jaws (Tripple Damage Attacks)
17-18
(1) Bog Troll
4
+4
0
14
+2
16
Large Weapon (2 Handed)
19-20
(1) Hoggar
4
+4
0
14
+2
16
Large Weapon (2 Handed)
Spell Caster
Bounty (20GC)
Hoggar AI
1
Enemy visible within 4" Move Attack
2
Enemey Visible within 6" Charge
3
enemy visible outside 6" Poison Dart or Curse if Target Poisioned
4
No enemy visible Wander 4" cast Curse if enemy visible, else Strength


Well the end of the table gets cut off, but you get the idea. My intention is to have a 3 game mini-campaign in the vein of the Hunt for the Golem campaign. That way we can have a few different things going on with different tables and people move between them or explore them as they see fit. I think this will be good to give lots of variety to it.


Play Test:

So on to the game, I took my warband from the Fandom games, so I have an Enchanter with a couple of games, but one of my Theifs is dead. Serge created an Enchanter and used some Warhammer Fantasy Empire Militia to make a Warband. There was a treasure hunter, archer, crossbowman, infantry man, and various thugs theifs and a dog.



So here we are ready to get going, the Elementalists have pressed all their guys on to the walk way, and I have spread out a bit more putting a few people in the swamp to see how that went. Various treasures are spread around, the chest in the middle is worth 2 items, and there is an extra on the Elemental side due to reveal secrets. I had to the priority this turn so decided to start pushing guy up, mainly to get away from the torch on my start boardwalk!


I moved my Templar up to cover the chest, and thug for the coins, and my Wizard casted enchanted armor on the Templar.


The bad Elementalists moved up and almost killed my Crossbow guy by the bridge with elemental ball, and they picked up a treasure, which caused a ghost to arrive!


So here we are in turn 2  now I think. I had moved my apprentice to try and heal my crossbow guy which failed, and the Elementalist apprentice then killed both my guys with Elemental ball, crap! Other then that people mostly went for the treasure, with the Infantryman challenging the Templar, and the Ghost made a good choice and went towards then Warband with no magic weapons!


Of course I started picking up some treasure as well, and a big Plague Toad appread right next to my Wizard, crap! The dog tried to prevent my Thug from making off with the coins, and a bunch of skeletons appeared to intercept the elementalist guys making off with the treasure.


Lucky for me the Ghost really blocked up the Elementalists boardwalk, so I thought my Templar with all his magic things would be able to kill that Infantryman at his leasure. But he Lost! ah you had 1 job. Other then that the Skeletons killed a guy that was trying to escape with the book treasure, and then went on to attack some more guys on the boardwalks, and a bunch of zombies showed up and wandered around in the bog doing nothing. My Wizard decided it was bad to hang out where the monsters appear so I teleported up by a torch to get in on the action.


My Thug had by now killed the dog and went back to trying to excape, but another Toad showed up to block my way! Luckily my Theif pitched in a had and they killed him, and also narrowly avoided getting killed by elemental ball. My wizard went down to 1 hp casting bone dart and then decided discretion was the better part of valor and joined my theif makings for the edge with the magic green fire hand.On the other side the Elementalists were finally done getting beat up by zombies and skeletons so they went back to escaping with treasure.


The treasure in the middle hadn't been touched up to this point, but the infantryman made off with it, and annoyingly the ghost decided to play with me. I took a shot at the chief Elementalist with my cross bow guy but no luck.


Finally my crossbow guy got wounded by elemental ball, so there was really no way for me to stop that infantryman now, so I was 2 treasures for me and 5 for the Elementalists, crap! A bunch of my guys died also so we had to roll for them.

In the end my Apprentice was badly wounded so I had to pay for a heal, and my Templar is badly wounded missing the next game. Then 2 theifs got replaced so I am back to full strength. My Wizard got some levels and leard a new spell, and got better at fighting. Item wise I got nothing crazy, the Elementalists got a magic shield and bought a Knight and set up in a tower to make reval secrets more reliable. I need to start taking that spell!

So be sure to let me know what you think of the scenario and set up. I found it pretty fun with monsters showing up for every treasure as it is good fun, but some might find it a bit much. I thought the line of sight limit with the torches worked well but a few more scatter piece on the big onep areas would be good. The amount of board walks was good I thought, more might make it annoying to move figures around in there so I will likely leave it like this for now. The last thing was the swamp rule which I felt did a good job of pushing people to the walkways, but you could still run off and hide in the shadows, or jump between them for no penalty. Maybe a custom magic pair of shoes that ignore the penalty can be added somewhere.

Thanks;
Mike









3 comments:

  1. First of all the terrain was awesome. Frostgrave is an easy game to play and very inexpensive. Especially when your friends gives you the models to build and paint. I think it is actually important to read what the spells do before choosing them. Who would have known that possess means possessing your own guy and turning him in a demon for the game. I thought that the terrain was just right. The monsters add a little tension to the game. You might want to put the entry points to the board walks a little of centre as the monster appear on the centre, but it actually makes sense for them to appear there. I think I was very lucky on my spells. I think my apprentice missed once out of 6 tries and my Wizard twice. Thanks for the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes reading the spells first is a good idea for sure hah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good and looks like it was a fun game.

    It does seem that push and jump would be very useful spells on this table.

    ReplyDelete