Wednesday 26 June 2019

Painting Update - French & Contrast Paints

Hello Folks,

Another painting post! This period got started with some more Team Yankee models, but then I decided to try out the new contrast paint line from GW and got excited about that. First things first some more French.

AMX-30 RC + VAB:


Got a pack of the armored cars I wanted, look very cool to me. Sadly meeple miniatures only had 1 box, but I have ordered another. The French are turning into a full army bit by bit vs the side project they were meant to be! All fun stuff thou.

Contrast Paints:

Not  sure if everyone paid attention to this but recently Games Workshop released a new style of paints, basic idea is that you can paint one heavy coat over a light undercoat and get shade base color and highlight all in 1 shot. The paints have s consistancy like a think wash. There are lots of you tube videos on these so I would take a look at some of those if interested. The Warhammer TV one on how to use them shows it well.

So I decided to paint some old Eldar stuff to give me a try.

Fire Dragons:


First expirement was to paint some fire dragons. Have had these for years. Was among the first kits I got, actually stripped them before I moved to Ottawa. Anyway I did a single coat plus touchs of the contrast paint to get the orange red and black. Especially on the orange you can see a bit of a shade and highlight. Super fast and looks good. A bit similar to dipped models maybe.

Farseer:


Next up a classic Faseer. This one has the contrast black and bone. I wasn't super happy with 1 layer of contrast, it is over white, so I did a second and some blue edge highlights. Finding the contrast effect works better with lighter colors.

Eldar Guardians:


Finally the first half of a guardian squad. Ran out of old eldar models so I had to buy this kit! Still having fun with the contrasts so probably will do more while I am adding bits to the French.


Not sure the contrast paints will have much use for historical, but surely there will be some. Might be a fast way to paint horses, which is good as I hate doing them! Anyway those are my current thoughts. I like the new paints, seem great for beginners especially!

Let me know what you think.


Pledge Status, 2018:

Bought: 128 some French + Eldar
Painted: 154
Total: -26

Thanks;
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment