Sunday 3 November 2019

Red Thunder - Round 1

Hello Folks,

Today was another club day, and we started of the Team Yankee campaign Red Thunder. The Cold War has gone hit and the Russians are coming.

I took a list of French with American allies as I have been doing, but took as many planes/helicopters as I could.

The scenario ended up being hasty attack. Basically both sides have reserves but mine were slower coming on, but I got an ambush.

I set up a table with a 2 lane high way plus some buildings and trees and what not.


Here's the set up, I have objectives in the middle and the left to defend. The one on the right gets taken away by the Russians. And 1 to attack in the back a bit left of the factory with all of the infantry.


Turn 1 for the Russians a horde of Hind show up and attack my Cobras, killing 1 with the other running. First blood! Other shooting not effective.


The attacked left but rolled allot of misses.


I fired back and was allot more lucky, I think getting rid of 1 platoon of 3 already. My Gazelles
 came on and attacked the Hind but only killed 1. On the right my Recon unit snuck up by the gas things and fired at the BMPs but missed, so can't win em all.


Russians kept up the pressure bringing more tanks in from Reserve. But only knocked out a couple of tanks. The Hinds shot down a Gazelle, so the chopper battle not going great for me. Also killed a recon tank on the right.


This time I was able to bring in the jets! But their cluster bombs landed not on target and never killed anything. I did well with the tanks thou, and killed half the BMPs on the right.


Russians doubled down on the same strategy, sending even more tanks into my concealed French guys. Worse luck this time thou I think. The Hinds killed some more Gazelles thou, so really chipping away at them.


This turn I got Reserves and jets! Some Abrams came on and flanked the T-72s, easily killing 1 platoon, with the jets getting a kill and a bail. On the right I cleared up the last few BMPs, only ended up loosing 1 tank. The Russians are starting to get real low on tanks now. The Russians do have a pair of AA missiles in the infantry platoons but they are not able to kill any jets, and some Shilkas behind the factory, but they are to far away.


But the remaining T72s were able to flank the Abrams a bit and knock out 1.


On my turn the Abrams easily finish the T72s by moving past and shooting them from behind, But by now there were only 3 left. So the Russians are down to only infantry and AA. Annoyingly i this game you only need 1 platoon to not be broken. But I decided to send in the Paras so have my Hueys land by the factory right by the Shilkas!


The Russians kill 1 gut none of the infantry are harmed. They then use LAWs to kill 1 and bail the other. This clears the air for my Mirage jets to start cluster bombing the infantry, while the tanks circle in. The Hinds are still chipping away at my tanks but eventhey are down to just 3 of the original 6.


I keep chipping away with the jets and guns. But it's clear now that I will win so Duncan just concedes. Was a fun game, great to have some many helicopters and jets around, they sure do make things fun! Especially if you don't take to many of the super cheap AA units which can ruin the fun a bit. Especially missile AA since they range the table pretty much and you can't avoid it, but thankfully none of that nonsense here!


Here's a few shots of the Canadians battling it out against Russians / East Germans. But they are having a tough time. Just way to many tanks to deal with. The T55s are stupidly cheap, and still lethal against Leopard 1s.


Also a shot of the campaign board. Provided for us by FDB, so shout out to them, and thanks very much! It's a well done campaign with stickers, and a pin for the winner of every battle. Very cool.


Also lots of people playing age of magic so here's a few shots of all that.


Love that pumpkin guy, hah.


So all in all a great club day.

Thanks;
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mike for the AAR and the compliment on my pumpkin scarecrow AKA Jumping Jack Flash.

    ReplyDelete