Sunday 23 August 2020

Battle Report - Black Seas

 Hello Folks,

Busy weekend for gaming it turns out. Today finally got around to trying out Black Seas with Duncan.

He some island bits and wanted to use those, for some reason Hasty Retreat stood out to me so we tried that scenario.

The Americans have some ships at anchor, with a frigate loading troops, this guy then has to escape, as the Royal Navy swoops in to blast em. We changed the lists up a bit and added some gun boats, I just find them fun!

Also I still never did the sails and rigging on my ships as I'm a bad person. So just we have to deal with it.


Here's the set up, yanks at anchor wind blowing from the west (left).


I sail on in, and the Americans start to move. Their lead frigate was still loading troops so he had to stay put.


You move pretty far actually, so the action immediately got hot. This one American bring really taking a hammering. But the troops were loaded and the game was afoot.


This very brave brig tried to board the troop frigate, but sadly failed to grapple. Only 1 hit left for this brig so worth a shot.


Unfortunately as the Americans got moving, my fleet had sailed directly into the harbour. Possibly not the best plan ever. So just as the Americans were escaping I had to anchor and try to turn. But their 1 brig had struck it's colours and the troop frigate had some good damage so there was a chance.


But then my 1 brig that was in a good position was well and truly sunk,  perhaps not ideal. Meanwhile the gun boats have a right old skirmish.


I got things moving again, but the troop ship was annoyingly far away, and the sea was clogged up with boats! 1 of them got ran over actually.

On the last turn I wasn't quite able to get a last shot on the troops ship, which could possibly have made him strike with very good luck. So that guy escaped, and on of my brigs was forced to strike. So perhaps not the most storied victory for the Royal Navy, but we still have a frigate, and I assume brigs are cheap to build so no real harm.


In the end this was a very fun game. Has a good balance between being easy and fun, but still have some decent navaly stuff. We made a few mistakes about damage but no big deal.

Quite possibly some more ships in the future I dunno. Honestly seems like I will just get the Royal Navy Fleet set and just paint a few ships here and there as I feel like it.


Thanks;

Mike









No comments:

Post a Comment