Wednesday 1 April 2015

Painting - Sherman Jumbos

So a few reinforcements to my American Tanks, getting ready for our campaign in April. 4 Jumbo Shermans, I found this to be a pretty good set, the tank hulls are great, no casting problems, and you can really see the thicker armor plates and rough welding if you look close which I thought was neat. But on the unfortunate side the tracks are metal instead of the very nice plastic ones. The metal ones had a not so nice cast but it's not the end of the world.

Have had problems in the past glueing them with super glue, but I was able to use 2 part epoxy this time which worked perfect. Really recommend that for battlefront tanks.

The turrets are magnetized with the magnets in the set, but I also magnetized the tank commander. I have been having problems later with those guys breaking off as the heads stick a bit above the top of the foam trays I store them in. So since this guy is on a magnet no problem!


The stars and words are the included decals, was a pleasure to work with them since they were luckily the blue paper ones, so much easier then the white paper kind!

The Jumbos have a very high front armor but it counts as the lowest armor, so you can use them to easily bounce a few incoming hits. My commander can also be in a Jumbo, so he can join a platoon in the shooting phase allowing me to bounce 2 hits, hopefully saving the expensive easy eights from taking damage. With the added bonus that the commander is hard to kill.

Paints Used:

GW: Chaos Black Spray, Leadbelcher

Vallejo: Black, White, US Field Drab, Kahki, Kahki Grey, Brown Violet

Liquitex: Urber Shade

Foundry: Flesh Shade, Flesh, Flesh Highlight

Mig: Light Rust Effect

I ran out of the stick I was using for weathering the tracks so no of that sadly, may add later if I remember.


Pledge Status 2015:
Bought: 132 (11 Jumbo Tanks, Easy Eights, Abrams)
Painted: 52 (2 houses, 4 Tanks)
Total: -80

Thanks;
Mike


1 comment: