Friday 19 January 2018

Battle Report - Ill Met by Moonlight

Hello Folks,

Well Wednesday Wargaming is back in full spring, this week it is once again time gor some lord of the rings gaming. I decided to use some of the stuff I have been building up for Osgiliath,  still have lots more to do but I added on some other stuff to make a table.

This is they week for trying mounted troops so I have some Gondor guy plus some Riders of Rohan to fight some goblins aND Hunter Orcs. We dont have any separate dismounted models done yet really so no killing of mounts.

Scenario was as listed above, basically murder in the night. You get points for breaking the enemy killing leaders and killing all heroes. My leader is Boromir facing off against the Goblin King.


Starting set up. I put my mounted on the left, Gondor on the right with all the bows in the middle.


First of advancing a bit slowly. Kind of playing cat and mouse with the mounted. I wanted to set up a good line with terrain at the ends to be safe basically on either side of the boulders goin to either walls. Fight the horde of Goblins on my terms is the idea. Sadly the troll threw a rock at Boromir and did a wound!


Eventually the lines get closer. My bows got really lucky and killed 2 of the orcs and a goblin or 2! My Rohan guys started fighting the Goblins the scribe was calling into the back field. Doing pretty well with that as I was getting priority.


The lines press closer. I was able to set up my ideal formating with a nice line of spears anchored by the terrain, hopefully making it hard for the Goblins to make use of their numbers.


Next turn evil got the drop so hot the choose the engagements. This went pretty well for the with lots of riders getting eaten by orcs. But my line on the other side was holding well even against the king and troll!


The battle continued of course. At this point the orcs are cleanin up. Erkenbrand brand was brought down! But on the other side Boromir did very well and killed the troll in 1 turn! I brought in more of my guys and lots of goblins are going down.


Eventually the goblins and orcs star surrounding my lines but it is to late. On the same turn we both break and have to starting making courage tests. Luckily I loose priority that turn and the goblin king flubs his roll and runs away! That turned defeat into victory for me. Evil was winning due to the wound on Boromir but the fleering king counts as dead so I am up by 1 unless someone can kill all the heroes.


But with such low courage it's not long until the Goblins rout leaving me up by 1, 5 points to 4.

So one city is safe for now. Was a fun game, probably the closest we have done. More to come as we get stuff ready for cangames.

Well post better pictures of the new building in the next painting update.

Thanks;
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Great game and great terrain Mike. Always fun playing. I find LoTRs easy to play. Not too many rules and the game moves along nicely.

    ReplyDelete