Monday 27 May 2019

Battle Report - Saga Age of Magic

Hello All,

This past weekend I got a chance to try out another game of Age of Magic with Duncan. I wanted to use my Lhorne guys again do I went for an Other World army  to fight the undead.

I took:

Aspiring Deathbringer (Warlord)
Demon Prince (Behemoth)
Slaughter Priest (Sorceror)
10 Blood Warriors (Hearthguard)
3 Wrath-Mongers (Bipedal Creatures)
8 Demons (Warriors)

Now that I am adding this up I realize this is only 7 points not 8, so that is a big mistake! We also made an error on how the horse attack ability works for the undead giving the zombies to many attacks sometimes.

We rolled for a mission in book of battles and got:

Bleak Moor (normal terrain)
Refused Flank (plat on short edges)
Unknown Length (roll at end of turn 5 to see if there is a 6th)
A dash of nostalgia (warlords get 2 saga dice)
Carnage (victory points by survival)




Here is the set up. I split my force with the elites on the left of the forest, and the rest on the right.

Not much movement for undead turn 1 but they gave the little demons nightmares.


I moved up to get ready for carnage. Leading with the demon prince. Who charged the zombies.


Next turn the undead made it their goal to kill the prince. First some skeletons then the ghost all charged him. Both taking heavy damage especially the ghosts.


I finished the ghosts by casting a spell. Moved up the small demons who avoided nightmares, and killed the skeletons. Going well so far.

The undead countered with the zombies and killed a hearthgusrd unit. I think this was the only time the extra dice for the horse mattered.


Anyway I felt like I had few units and dice left so time decisive action. The death bringer charged the zombies alone. He killed a disappointing amount and they swarmed him next turn



Not looking good.


I played turn 5 hoping for no turn 6. So I charged the last hearthguard and the creatures. They both did alright.


But there was a turn 6 and khorne got wiped out.

Was a fun game, I like the fantasy saga. Still figuring out the factions. It seems clear that counting points is important and you cant leave units at home!

Thanks;
Mike


1 comment:

  1. How does the saga compare to something like Frostgrave Mike? Is there a campaign system?

    ReplyDelete