Sunday 19 January 2020

Battle Report - By Fire and Sword -Samurai

Hello All,

This past Friday we had our club day. The main game was English Civil War which I'm not that interested in, so I decided to try and set up a side  game. Settled in trying a Samurai game with By Fire and a Sword rules.

Note that my stuff is based on 100mm widecstands not 40mm, so we just counted each stand as 2, no big deal. Also made up some quick stats:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H4saDZ0tdUbyi1ihaGGSzUA8rFxoEZiCRsqIV6vKcHA/htmlview

So I had 2 armies 1 if warrior monks and some Ikko-Ikki and one with Samurai. Monks had a few more units and more guns, Samurai had mounted so Korean maneuverability. I took the monks and gave Steve the Samurai.

Never did points so no idea if that was fair, also skipped recon and other pregame bits. Basically we were playing fast and loose with the rules.

Game 1: Forage

Since I dont really know who the stronger player is I picked 3 scenarios that 8 hadcterra8n fir and let Steve choose, forage was the winner.


Here is the set up, using 2 villages as forage tokens, which is not allowed but like I said, treating the rules as more of a guideline!


First turn the Samurai deploy into a line for a full frontal attack, no time to waste. I fire a few shots but it's long range so mostly scattered. But the mounted Samurai are disrupted.


Turn 2 they recover and charge, but some Warrior monks send them back. On the left I have few peasants trying to flank while the monks hang out by the village. In the center the bow Samurai are going tow to tiw with the monks.


Next round sees the big unit of mounted Samurai broken. On the  right they get in range of the town.


Big action ln the next go. Both units charge on the right, but Steve rolls really crap and my unit mostly holds, while the Samurai break! Peasants and Ashigaru charge each other on the left but draw. In the center thr slog continues. The bow had gotten out of easy to order range.


Next turn is a bit if recovery getting ready for the last push. I tried to flank with my Warriors on the right but never quite made it.


In the final turn the Samurai are able to recover and charge my exposed unit, really curshing them. Points wise we were about even on murder, but no loot for the Samurai so a win for the monks. Hopefully Steve's dice improve fir round two!

Game 2: Patrol

Since we are professionals we got done long before the other game so decided on another game. This time patrol. Peter joined in commanding my right flank.


All my foot press forward slowly, while the mounted Samurai rocket up to look around. The 3 recon objectives are the w rice paddies and grove


Next turn more moving up and a little shooting. The Samurai have all 3 recon so we are under stress to get the last.


Next turn the peasants try to charge, I was assuming the Ashigaru would as well ti try and block us. Instead they shot so my charge failed and many farmers died... But they past morale so I could check out the field, worth it! On the right the lines ready for battle.


My monja charge through the grove and break the Samurai! The peasants route, butvtheur job is done. In the right the final arrangements are made.


Next turn I turn my unit 90 degrees to flank the ashigaru Teppo-Tai squad, which turns out awkward with these units. On the right everyone charges, but still no luck for the Samurai so they loose. The mounted Samurai do really thou which may be bad.


Final turn, Steve takes the initiative and goes out big. All the units of mounted Samurai converge on my unit milling about in the center and crush it totally. In the right Peter's monks really send the foot Samurai a lesson, breaking them.

This time pints wise we both got the scenario, sonit was d8wn to murder! We took about 30% casualties and the Samurai were just over 50%, so tactical victory for the monks!

Maybe now the pesky Samurai will leave us alone!


Finally heres a shot of England. Lots of great units, bit of a flat land thou.

I thought the Samurai version went very well and was allot of fun. Will have to do more for sure, tempted to get some Koreans! Seems like the lads had fun with the ECW as well so looks like this isza pretty easily adaptable rule set.




Thanks;
Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment